Chocolate Chip Cookie Cannabis Infused
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cannabis Infused So you found some flour and now you’re baking up a storm. Sourdough bread? Mastered. Banana bread? You added in some cannabis and now it’s your new favorite. Let’s tack on something else to your cooking repertoire: chocolate chip cookies. Yes, the classic dessert that’s the epitome of comfort is even better when it’s a dosed edible. It’s a nostalgic throwback and you can always freeze the dough to be enjoyed later.
With that in mind we tapped David Lee, chef of Toronto’s top restaurant Planta, to create a cannabis-infused cookie recipe for us. Lee’s spot is known for their top-notch vegan cuisine that tastes anything but vegan. His spin uses plant-based chocolate chips and dosed olive oil instead of your usual eggs, butter, and traditional chocolate chips. That said, if you can’t find plant-based chocolate chips or if you prefer the taste of milk chocolate, feel free to sub in as needed.
One last note: dosing can vary based on your tolerance and needs. Lee recommends approximately 10 mg of THC per cookie if you’re making 24 smaller ones, 20 mg of THC if you’re baking 12 bigger ones. So he uses an oil that he pre-made which contains 45mg of THC per tablespoon.
If that’s confusing or too much of a hassle, you can always buy a pre-dosed olive oil like Potli. It’ll need to be decarboxylated first, which means you should heat it in an oven at 315 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes. You can do that in advance and always have a batch of ready-to-go THC-infused oil for your cooking needs. Should you go this route, you’ll wind up with about 6mg of THC per small cookie.
Makes 12 large cookies or 24 smaller ones.
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 3 cups of brown sugar
- 8 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 ½ tablespoons of cannabis-infused olive oil, like Potli
- 1 ½ cups of vegetable-based shortening
- 2 cups of water
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of dark chocolate chips (preferably plant-based)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer, or with a large bowl and hand mixer, beat white sugar, brown sugar, shortening, olive oil and cannabis-infused oil
- Once it looks white, creamy, and fluffy, it’s fully combined. To that, add water while mixing on low so it doesn’t splatter.
- Mix on high for five minutes.
- In a separate bowl sift all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine both bowls but make sure to mix slowly to avoid a flour explosion!
- Once fully combined, fold in chocolate chips.
- With a large ice-cream scoop or a spoon scoop out your cookies, this recipe makes 12 large ones or 24 smaller ones, depending on your preference.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and place cookies very spaced out. Use your hands to shape them into perfect circles about 1 inch thick — anything thinner and you will end up with a crispy versus cookie.
- Add a sprinkling of Maldon salt on top along with 4-5 chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let them cool and enjoy!